Monday, February 23, 2015

Cooking in Scotland

I     There have been some surprises with cooking in Scotland.  It began with having very few items and utensils in the kitchen.  We did our best with what we found here for the first few weeks, but since then we have added to the stock of useful items. For example, this was the ONLY item that resembled a measuring cup.


     The only problem is that the ounces marked on it don't match up with what I would expect.  One pint and one half pint should be 16 oz. and 8 oz., correct?  If you look at this closely, you will see that is not the way it is marked.  Am I missing something?  Also, there were no teaspoon/tablespoon measures.  I spent the first few weeks using my mothers method of "the big spoon in the silverware drawer is a tablespoon and small one is a teaspoon."  That worked okay, but since I'm regularly cooking for students and others, I didn't want to have every meal be an "experiment and hope for the best" activity.   

     Of couse, one of the most obvious adjustments we have had to make is using the metric system for measures and temperature.  I found a good app that makes these conversions for us and the boys and I are getting very efficient at making the necessary adjustments.  I love that they are getting this practical experience!  I am confident that those metric math lessons will go much more smoothly after this experience.

    This Dutch oven has become my new best friend.  It has become a challenge (a game I'm playing with myself) to see if I can use it at least once each day that we are here.  I've made main dishes, side dishes and desserts in it so far.  I have big plans for this pot and I might have to get one of my own when I get home!


     Most of the "issues" have been surprises and surrounding unexpected ingredients.  For example, I bought some cans that said "chicken broth" on the label to mix with rice, but when I opened them, they were chicken soup!  Chicken, vegetables and all!!!  Not what I was expecting.  The boys were helping me make dinner so one of them suggested "just strain all of that out."  It seemed a bit of a waste but the rest would not have worked in Mexican Rice.  We have learned that we find eggs in the grocery store on the shelf next to the bread, not in the refrigerated section next to the milk.  We have found most items that we are looking for, but it has been a good mental exercise to think about "where else might this be? ".   Sometimes this process has taken a long time, but I am happy to report that after weeks of searching, I have found canned green chilies!  It is surprising, however, to see items that are common staples in my American kitchen (i.e. canned black beans) be an expensive "luxury item" here!  





No comments:

Post a Comment