Monday, February 2, 2015

Eating Our Way Through Scotland



    Had a wonderful lunch on Monday at the Doll's House.  When I told the boys where we were going, they rolled their eyes and asked if they had to go.  They'd go to Pizza Express every day, which is not a bad choice.  Tommy and I had been invited to participate in their soft opening, which required filling out a survey at the end of the meal in return for 50% off the total bill.  Let me tell you, the boys were thrilled to have gone!  Jonathan had a very nice looking beef burger while Josh had fish sandwich.  Both came with chips (or fries as we'd say).  Other things that I thought were interesting on a kid's menu were chicken ceased salad, steamed mussels, and mushroom/spinach ravioli.  One thing that we have observed is that many restaurants here will take really good care of kids with fancy food that they will love along with a nice dessert (today's was 2 scoops of homemade butterscotch ice cream).  Maybe it's a plot to pull the parents in, but we don't mind one bit!
     Some may be interested to know that our meals came with mushy peas.  They are just what they sound like - mushed up peas.  Very British!  
     One other thing that I must mention because it makes me smile is the use of the words "afters" and "puddings" to refer to dessert.  For example, at lunch, the waiter asked which pudding I wanted with my meal and I chose cheesecake - not what an American would think of as a pudding!
     The food was delicious, though no pictures to show for it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment